Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Grandmother's Quilt

Diana, over at To Everything a Season recently posted here about some quilt squares she found at a garage sale. They immediately caught my eye because they were the same pattern as the old quilt I've inherited from my grandmother, and were made around the same time. If you haven't visited her blog, be sure and go over and say "hi". You'll love it. 
  I decided that I wanted to do a post showing you my beloved and well-worn quilt. I can remember sleeping under it as well as several others as a child. In fact, I didn't like blankets at all, I would always ask for a quilt on my bed when it got cold. Most of the quilts we used were hand-me-downs from my grandparents. Unfortunately, only a couple have survived. Here are some photos of mine. 
This quilt was made for my grandmother by the ladies of her community in Missouri when the family was moving to Texas. They only stayed in Texas a few years, long enough for my mother to graduate from high school there. It was actually completed in Texas, and a few squares were made by new friends they met there. 

The square above  is only one that is dated; it says Dec.13, 39. Thankfully, my mom remembers most of the people named on the quilt, and has created a list telling me who they are, and how they are related to one another.

The little sewing machine at the top of this post is something I found at the Long Beach Antique Market last year while shopping with my friend Jill of Bailiwick Studio, and the sweet little pincushion was made by Jill. Go by and visit her blog, she takes the most beautiful pictures and has a wonderful eye for decorating and design. You'll love her ideas and want to get lost in her photos. Have fun!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Blessings,
Marcia

24 comments:

Melanie said...

What a treasure you have there. It's beautiful! :)

katie said...

Oh Marcia, what a family treasure you have. It is beautiful, I love seeing the old fabrics in it.
The pink sewing machine is just to sweet. The pincushion looks like it was made just to be used with that machine.
Great post, going now to look at your blogging friends.

Trish said...

*sigh*
What is not to love about a cherished, handmade quilt?
GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing it!

Shelia said...

HI Marcia! Oh, what a lovely quilt! Take care of this it's a treasure!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

BailiwickStudio said...

The quilt is so beautiful! I love how it's a remembrance of ladies who loved your grandmother. And the colors are so wonderfully faded. ::Jill

Marla at Always Nesting said...

Lucky you! What a beautiful quilt and so full of memories. I love the pattern.

Julie Harward said...

You are so blessed to have these...I love old quilts, nothing feels as wonderful as they do! I have one on my bed year round. Come say hi :D

Rhonda said...

I love that quilt! You are so blessed! What a wonderful treasure to have the names on it!
We only use quilts, in fact, we have no blankets! Just quilts. I enjoyed your post about your grandmother's qiult! It's lovely!
Blessings!
Rhonda

T's Daily Treasures said...

That pink sewing machine is fabulous. And the quilt such a wonderful heirloom. How lovely to have something handmade with names included. It's great that your mom was able to give you stories on each one so that the memories will continue on. It is just magnificent. Have a blessed day! Tammy

Cottage Cozy said...

I love when a quilt has the names of the friends that made the gift...it is so special! What a beautiful quilt to inherit! A treasure!

Torie Jayne said...

What a beautiful quilt! Such a wonderful pattern, Have a sweet day!

Christine said...

Oh Marcia, what a priceless quilt to own! I'm so glad you thought of sharing it with us as it is so lovely! I love that you know the history of all those names too!
So beautiful!
Thanks,
Christine

Goosegirl said...

What a beautiful and special quilt. I have my great grandmother's quilt but it is falling apart. I am afraid to use it now as the fabric has gotten so thin. But I love it still.

And I have one of those little pink toy machines too! I love it!

My name is PJ. said...

Marcia, I adore the artistry and the history here! And that your Mom made a list to 'fill in the blanks' about the quilters! This is a real treasure.

The sewing machine is wonderful too! Great find!!

Michelle said...

What a beautiful quilt. None of the ladies of my family have ever quilted, so I'm jealous when I see a nice quilt from someone's grandma.

Kelli said...

What a treasure! :) I adore quilts and the older, the better. You are a lucky girl! :)

Tracy said...

Marcia, the quilt is beautiful and such a treasure!

Susan B said...

What a gorgeous quilt, and the fact it was your grandmother's makes it more special! As well as the lovely history behind it. Thank you for sharing it.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

I'm blessed with quilts like that from my grandmother as well as my husband's grandmother. Some are more worn than others but I agree that just adds to them, knowing they were used and loved.

Heidi said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing this. I feel like you let me peek at a very special family treasure. How wonderful that you have this quilt and all the memories of using your grandmother's quilts. I quilt myself (you can see my needlework on my other blog AllMyScatteringMoments) and am always so happy to see someone put worth on such things. We have no family quilts to pass down which I think is very sad. I hope my nieces and their children will treasure mine when they are passed on to them.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Marcia,
What gorgeous quilts!! They are amazing, such treasure's to have!
Oh, and that little pink sewing machine! Just too cute! Love this post!
Cindy

Sharon said...

Oh Marcia!What a blessing to own such a cherished quilt :) I love it! It is so beautiful and even more beautiful knowing that you and others have enjoyed snuggling under it. What great memories :) Thank you for sharing a have a most blessed weekend in Him!
~Sharon

outdoor.mom said...

that is just such an incredible piece of heritage!

Regan Family Farm said...

Oh my goodness, so beautiful! What a treasure to still have the quilt. My mom has and old quilt made with those "yo-yo's" but years ago she mistakenly thought she could wash it. Yikes! It's a mess now...
Blessings!
Kathy