Sunday, April 12, 2015

Broken Together...

Photo courtesy of Larry Massey

29 years ago today, we said "I do". We had no idea what that meant at the time.
We were two broken people. We still are.
We're starting to get one thing though,
we are realizing that through good times and bad,
this marriage is not about us.
It was never supposed to be.
We've been slow to get this, and though we fail every day,
God has still blessed us, in spite of ourselves.
We have no idea what tomorrow will bring,
because tomorrow is never guaranteed,
but today
we just want to wake up and be grateful for all that Christ has done.
Happy Anniversary RussMyHoney,
I love you, always and forever...
I am so thankful that we are broken together.


These are the words on the website that describe this song. I think it says it so well.

“Marriage is tough. We bring a lot of fairytales to the picture when it comes to marriage. We bring them to the altar with us [thinking]: ‘This is going to be perfect. We don’t have to be apart. We can just wake up together every morning and no one is going to have morning breath. We’re not going to have any problems.’ And then the problems hit and you don’t know where to file those into your picture. . . The idea I’m trying to say is: ‘Can you lay down who you thought I was and love the ‘me’ that is? Can we take this from where we are now and realize that I can’t be that person?’ Only God is going to be able to make this work and broken people can be broken together. To me, it’s probably the most important song on the record.”


"Broken Together"
What do you think about when you look at me
I know we're not the fairytale you dreamed we'd be
You wore the veil, you walked the aisle, you took my hand
And we dove into a mystery

How I wish we could go back to simpler times
Before all our scars and all our secrets were in the light
Now on this hallowed ground, weve drawn the battle lines
Will we make it through the night

Its going to take much more than promises this time
Only God can change our minds

Maybe you and I were never meant to be complete
Could we just be broken together
If you can bring your shattered dreams and I'll bring mine
Could healing still be spoken and save us
The only way we'll last forever is broken together

How it must have been so lonely by my side
We were building kingdoms and chasing dreams and left love behind
Im praying God will help our broken hearts align
And we won't give up the fight

Maybe you and I were never meant to be complete
Could we just be broken together
If you can bring your shattered dreams and Ill bring mine
Could healing still be spoken and save us
The only way we'll last forever is broken together

21 comments:

  1. Happy wedding Anniversary to both of you and congratulations for still working it out together.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia. I just figured out how to enable replies to my posts, so that's why I've taken so long to say thank you :)

      Delete
  2. anniversary blessings ..
    marriage doesn't have to be perfect to be blissful and beautiful. the two of you are ready examples of grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. My kids might not agree though, they've seen me when I'm pretty ungraceful. So thankful we have a merciful God :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary. We, too, were broken when we started. Almost 40 years later we are imperfectly perfect.....just like you! Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana! It goes by quickly, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. Wish you many more years of togetherness.
    Namaste,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely thoughts there!
    Happy anniversary to you two. My hubby and I were married 18 years ago yesterday! We were old at the time, and we are aging well together :^) Last evening we went to hear Ivan Parker (Gaither Vocal Band) in concert. It was GREAT and just made our day!
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Belated Anniversary to you too, Jaybird! I remember the Gaither Band. Nice anniversary celebration :)

      Delete
  6. Beautifully said dear friend! Happy Anniversary to you two! Have a blessed evening and rest of the week! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Theresa. We had a wonderful anniversary!

      Delete
  7. Hi Marcia, I was so happy to see your comment on my blog, and thought...oh my gosh it has been too long since we have spoken! I haven't blogged as much this past year due to taking care of my mom up until she passed...now I am feeling like picking up the gauntlet again and reconnect with people...so I am so glad you said hi. I hope you are doing well. We are. Loved your post about you and your hubby too. Priceless and precious. Give yourself a big hug from me!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Debbie. We both went through a different season of life the past few years. I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you're getting back to blogging :)

      Delete
  8. Hello Marcia,
    So good to hear from you again.
    Happy anniversary!
    I think your story is one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read.
    Take care,
    Natacha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet of you to say Natacha. Marriages are work, but we've been very blessed :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the comment on my blog about the Bosch. I will never own this expensive of appliances again. We built this as a showcase home strictly for resale (for our retirement) - It was #15 that we have rehabbed and lived in. That's basically what I did for a living. I would do the Bosch dishwasher again-but never that expensive of other appliances-although I do hope to have another double oven!. xo Diana
    ps. If you get a chance can you send me your direct email addy? I don't seem to have it. dianakos1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Happy belated Anniversay! I'm loving all these songs you are posting. Hugs and blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy! I'm glad you're enjoying them :)

      Delete
  11. We celebrate 35 years in June and when this song and video came out it was like a balm to both of our souls. We were able to do just what the song says, "Bring your shattered dreams and I will bring mine" and then commit to be broken together. Life is hard and marriage is hard....so glad God takes the broken pieces and makes beauty for ashes. Congrads to you two!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
Blessings,
Marcia