Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Brother Bravery

The first fight I ever remember seeing, took place on the playground 
of my school when I was in first grade.

I was spinning around on "the bars", as they called them,
and a 5th grader and known bully, walked up and started throwing a football 
at me and a couple of the other girls playing there.
He hit me hard and I started to cry.

Within about a minute, my brother, a 4th grader, was there beside me.
Someone had told him I'd been hurt, and he was checking on me,
...and then he asked me who did it.

I pointed to the boy, who was bigger and older than my brother,
and the next thing I knew,
my brother had thrown his jacket off 
and was challenging this boy to a fight.
He didn't wait for him to answer. 
He let him know that he crossed the line when he hit his sister.

I watched in shock. My brother took on this boy...for me.
My brother, who was known as a kind boy...
was going to tear this bully up. 
I loved him more in that moment than I ever had before.

A teacher showed up quickly and broke up the fight.
And then, almost even worse,
the boys were taken to the dreaded "Principal's Office".
I yelled that he was protecting me,
that the boy was bad...
but both of them were taken away.
It was back in the days when a Principal had a paddle...
and everyone feared it.

I watched him walk away, and I cried again.
This time it was for what might be coming his way.

As it turned out, the Principal was a wise man.
He listened to the story of "why" it had happened,
and he understood boys...and honor. 
He just made them shake hands and make up, which they did.

They never fought again, and I don't remember that boy giving
anyone else any trouble. 
I know things would be handled differently now, 
but I'm not sure the results would be any more successful.

My big brother has always been there for me. I've always known he had my back.


I can't say that I've done the same. 
I'm the younger one, and a girl,
and all too often, I didn't think that way,
but he did.

When our mom passed away last summer,
my big brother took care of everything...once again,
 just as he always had, because that's the kind of person he is.

He's experienced his fair share of trials.
For those who might remember, a few years ago, his son Jordan,
lost his legs when he stepped on an IED in Afghanistan. It is difficult
to watch your own child going through such pain.
We were thankful that Jordan survived.
He had a long, hard road ahead of him, which he has walked 
with dignity, never giving up. He is doing well now.

Earlier this year, my brother was diagnosed with cancer.
That terrible disease that everyone hates. Cancer is an awful word.
He has undergone radiation and chemo,
and thankfully, his prognosis looks good, but the treatment has been hard.
I am so proud of him for facing this cancer bully...
and fighting it just like he fought the bully on the playground so many years ago.
He too, has faced this challenge head-on, with dignity.

A few days ago I was able to hang out with him.
I'm so thankful that he's starting to feel better,
and especially thankful for the best big brother God could've ever provided...
I love you Kev!!



There is a song I want to share by NeedtoBreathe called "Brother".
The words express the love and thankfulness I have for my big brother.

And it describes the brother he's always been to me.
The one who's there for you, no matter what. 
Please listen, it's beautiful. The lyrics are included below.


"Brother"

Ramblers in the wilderness we can’t find what we need
Get a little restless from the searching 
Get a little worn down in between
Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em’ shining like a lighthouse from the sea

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

Face down in the desert now there’s a cage locked around my heart
I found a way to drop the keys where my failures were 
Now my hands can’t reach that far
I ain’t made for a rivalry I could never take the world alone
I know that in my weakness I am strong, but
It’s your love that brings me home

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

And when you call and need me near
Sayin' where'd you go?
Brother I'm right here
And on those days when the sky begins to fall
You're the blood of my blood
We can get through it all

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re feelin' low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

Brother let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home


...I love you Kevin :)
Signed,
Your Little Sister

22 comments:

  1. WOW, you were really blessed and lucky to have such a great brother. This is a lovely tribute to him and says quite a lot about what a great guy he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Our family was formed slowly. Our parents waited years for children, and adopted my brother after nearly 10 years of marriage. I was a surprise, born 3 years later. So I truly know, my brother is a gift from God :)

      Delete
  2. You are blessed with a great brother! I've heard this song but never read the lyrics before! I like this song even more now!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanna! The song is beautiful, and the lyrics and video make it even more so.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet message for your Brother! I pray that he will continue to feel better and that the two of you will get to spend more and more times together! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers for him Theresa, and for your kind comments too.

      Delete
  4. You are both blessed to be raised in a home filled with love and courage. I send love from your family in Missouri... Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. Our whole family is very blessed :)

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful post and a blessing for all of us who have the honor of reading it.
    I am so glad I found this-

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    From the photograph, you can tell he feels exactly the same way about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful testimony to the love of a sibling. I know your heart is in your throat when you think of cancer and brother in the same breath...as was my own. You are lucky he is so strong and able to give it a good fight. They found my brother's cancer too late to even try anything.
    He is a handsome man and I certainly remember his son. I think that is the first prayer request I ever put on my blog ... and it opened the door for many others that have come forward and asked for prayers. Now I will be praying for your brother, too.
    Blessings to all of you- You look beautiful! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I know that many people prayed for Jordan and shared his story when it happened. He is doing very well.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful post! And such a blessing for you to have such a loving big brother! How I would have loved that. I have two younger brothers, and while we love each other of course, they have never been the kind of relationships I've longed for. Praying that your brother continues to improve and enjoys MANY more happy, healthy years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Debbie. We appreciate the prayers!

      Delete
  8. Marcia, I'm so glad to hear your brother is doing well! How blessed you are to have such a loving relationship with him! xo Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its always good to know that there is some one around to protect you. And you said it right "I know things would be handled differently now"
    Like that song "Brother".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listening as I type here. I love Gavin DeGraw. Beautiful story! Sending healing wishes Kevin's way. My brother tells the story of me standing up for him against a bully at the bus stop. Apparently I punched the guy good and told him not to bother my little brother. Sadly, I don't remember it at all. I do remember in 5th grade, Randy was bothering Paula Montgomery, who was African American. I grabbed his hands and twisted them back and gave him what for. Let's just say I was a bit of a tomboy. In 4th grade, in TX, I was paddled by the principal. My teacher, Mrs. Cargill, reported me for tying kids shoes together when we were supposed to be watching some film, the old reel kind. :) Yeh, those were the good ol days. ha! Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read somewhere
    Because brothers don’t let each other wander in the dark alone

    Just felt like sharing the quote here.
    It is heartening to hear that your brother is recovering
    Stay blessed

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just beautiful. You're both so very blessed! I always wanted a brother, but it never happened.
    My mother is the only girl and has three brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful post! Your brother is a handsome man and he has a beautiful sister. I pray that he continues to improve and beat the cancer. I remember Jordan and it's great to hear he is doing well!
    I had 2 brothers and they always had my back, too, although one brother was younger. They died much too young of ALS.
    I loved the song. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post, and what an amazing brother you have to look up too! I do too so I can appreciate your love for him. Glad to know he is beating cancer also. I am so thankful Jordan is doing well, he obviously has his fathers spirit and courage.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
Blessings,
Marcia