Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Veggie Tales "Love" Letter :)


Dear Adult Son,

I've noticed that some of your "contemporaries" have taken to making fun of Veggie Tales, with the claim that they were forced to watch it by their "conservative" Christian mothers. I can assure you that it was I that was FORCED to watch! You begged me for those videos and "Mommy, rewind it!" was a oft-heard statement in our household. 

Your childhood obsession with this show has taught me much though. I now know that Manatees should all be named Barbara, and that veterinarians in the Alps most definitely yodel. I remember well when you just HAD to have a water buffalo because "everybody had one", and came to realize that pirates don't do anything (I must admit that I had an inkling of this already, thanks to the famous Disneyland ride). I do feel a bit sorry for all the well-liked Daniels out there who may have inadvertently found their ears filled with cheeseballs and their nostrils with sorbet.

Of course the best lesson I learned was to ALWAYS put my hairbrush in it's place! If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard "oh where, oh where, oh where, oh where, o-h w-h-e-r-e?" in my head!

Thank you my son...you have taught me so much.
Signed,
Your Loving Mom

P.S. No, I didn't keep them, but I'm sure that your children will find songs that will teach you life lessons of equal importance. In fact I'm looking forward to it...It will be so much more fun than the nostril trick :))
Love you!

(You're free to borrow this for your adult children too, haha)

16 comments:

  1. Precious:) Our grandchildren loved Barney! I know all of those songs:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Theresa. We had a lot of Barney tapes too!

      Delete
  2. So cute! Funny how those songs stick!
    Hope you are all well! Thanks so much for popping in for a visit and for your sweet comments!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I'll pop in again soon :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you, I still sing the hairbrush song and Pirates who don't do anything. :) I love that my grand children love them too.
    I had no idea that anyone who make fun of that kind of upbringing. I read a blog yesterday and I was quite shocked at the negativity some young people had about their homeschooling years.
    I love this is is so nice to reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wrote this as a Facebook post originally, after I'd seen a joke about young adults complaining about this. My kids all still love them, even though most of them are grown now :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deanna. I know that many mom's can relate :)

      Delete
  5. I have a special needs adult daughter so she does not out grow Veggietales. We started with the very first video and then had to replace all the vhs tapes with dvds. I know all the songs and can quote most of the stories word for word. Because she loves Veggietales so much I could not tell you how many veggietale birthday parties we have had. I will take veggietales over the secular cartoons any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veggie Tales isn't something my boys ever watched so I'm not familiar with it. And my memory is shot anyways. Some folks can remember storylines and phrases from movies they've seen and books they've read but my brain doesn't seem to work that way. I remember nothing. :) Have a good day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tammy, you should check them out on YouTube. The hairbrush song is so funny!

      Delete
  7. Some tales that are always going to stay in heart, no matter where we reach when we grow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, like Tammy above, I have no clue what this was about... Not having lived in this country growing up makes me miss out on such familiarity for the natives.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Mariette. I have a good friend that grew up and Romania and she tells me that her husband has to fill her in on jokes and stories like this.

      Delete
    2. Just added it for anyone else who might not know Veggie Tales.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
Blessings,
Marcia