Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Daddy and the "Big Picture"


My dear, sweet daddy turned 90 on November 2nd. We celebrated it with lots of cake, love and family. He loved it. Then, on November 8th, he woke up in the morning, saying he didn't feel "Quite up to par", took a deep breath, and joined his Savior and my mom in heaven. It was unexpected, but he went quietly and peacefully, just as he lived his life. I will miss him dearly. I was a "Daddy's girl" all of my life. 

So on Monday, we again celebrated my dad. Old friends and loved ones came to remember the life of this quiet, loving man. How blessed we were to have him as the leader of our family for so many years. Here's a photo of some of our family. (That's Jordan, btw, standing in front of my husband, 4th from the left, in the turquoise plaid. Some might remember praying for him after he stepped on an IED in Afghanistan almost 5 years ago. He's doing well!)


"I will think of him as I always knew him; kind, loving thoughtful of everyone but himself, a blessing wherever he went and a strength and comfort to all with whom he came in contact. A constant example of all that a husband, father, and Christian should be." 
(This quote was about the missionary Hudson Taylor, but it fits my dad perfectly).

So I want to tell a little story. Some might call this irony, but stay with me for just a minute. This Fall, for the first time in many years, I signed up to help with junior high girls at my church. It's a very large church, and they paired up leaders. I was thankful that they paired me up with a young woman who had experience, because I felt out of my element. We bonded quickly, though we had only met a few times before. After my dad passed away last week, I called her, and her gentle compassion meant so much.

We couldn't know that 4 days later, her own father would pass away and she would be calling me. This pairing seemed so God ordained, and we marveled that He saw the big picture far in advance of us. However the other night she shared with me that our lives had even more in common than I knew. You see, she told me that she was born on the very day my husband and I were married. Some may think one has nothing to do with the other, and this is just coincidence. I don't see it that way. I am realizing more and more that God sees the "big picture" in ways we can never understand. He doesn't see backward or forward, He just sees aerially, and He says that is enough, that He's got "this", whatever "this" may be. He knew on the day she was born and I was married, that we would someday lose our dads the same week. He knew that we would become friends, though she is young enough to be my daughter. He keeps teaching me that He knows what the future holds and my job is simply to trust. 

As we prepared for both of our dads memorial services this week, I am reminded that ours is a "big picture" God, and I'm so thankful for that, and for a friend named Tammy, who has helped me see that He is so much bigger than my mind can possibly fathom.

 If anyone remembers the post about my mom's passing in August of 2014, they will notice that when I was preparing for her service, I found a very important letter from my grandmother, written to my mom, on the day before my grandmother died, which also "happened" to be my anniversary date, although that time, 30 years earlier. As I am writing this tonight, I am reminded that nothing in our lives is by chance, that God has all of the details worked out, and sometimes He gives a glimpse of just how much attention He pays to even the smallest of details, just to reassure us that His word is true, and heaven is real.

“Life is but a Weaving”
“My life is but a weaving
Between my God and me.
I cannot choose the colors
He weaveth steadily.
Oft’ times He weaveth sorrow;
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.
Not ’til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas
And reveal the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful
In the weaver’s skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned
He knows, He loves, He cares;
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those
Who leave the choice to Him.” 
― Corrie ten Boom


I love you Daddy. I know I will see you again!

16 comments:

  1. Oh dear Marcia, I am SO sorry but what a sweet picture of your Daddy celebrating his 90th Birthday! I will be praying for you in the days, weeks, months ahead! God truly sees the big picture! I have several of those in my own life. One of which is tomorrow, it is my Husband's birthday but also the day my Daddy passed away in 2006. I know that God protects us, always in all things that we are going thru! Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Theresa. I will be praying for you tomorrow, as your celebrate and remember. Today, I'm going to help with the funeral of my friend's dad, and we are both being comforted by the way He worked out these details. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss, Marcia, though I know you will see him again.

    I love the story of seeing how God has been weaving the pattern in your life and in the lives of others. Your words are true and the poem by Corrie Ten Boom is wonderful.

    Grace to you
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deanna. There are so many more patterns He has been "weaving" into our lives in the last few months. My heart is full with His examples, although we have seen sadness in it too. This poem speaks volumes, doesn't it? Blessings to you and your family!

      Delete
  3. Dear Marcia,
    Thank you for this post. My dad called me just yesterday to tell me that he has esophageal cancer. The prognosis isn't very positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that Natacha. I'll add him to my prayer list.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you have the comfort of knowing that your Dad is absent from the body and present with the Lord. No greater joy than that. You have a lovely family picture. I always love that poem by Corrie. I think it fits so beautifully.
    God is always good all of the time, I think your story is sweet. It is always tough to loose someone, but I just figure that verse in Hebrews is for us, "Since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of Witnesses..." It makes heaven that more lovely.
    I am always so sorry more for us who still have our land legs, our loved ones are finally are at home. :)
    Thank you so much for sharing,
    Hugs,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim. I agree with you, and I love the way you put it "sorry more for us who sill have our land legs"..that's perfect!

      Delete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I got a chill as I got to the end of your post. I was thinking of the piece that you posted by Corrie Ten Boom, and then there it was. Hugs across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers Carol. That poem is beautiful, and it is certainly part of what He has been trying to teach me this year :)

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, but rejoice with you as you know he is even now in the presence of His Savior. I LOVED hearing about the story of your partner, and totally agree with you that this was NO coincidence. His love for us never ceases to amaze me as He pays attention to every little detail. Praying that you feel His arms of comfort and peace in the coming days and months! Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Debbie, and for your prayers. We certainly feel them. I miss him already, but I'm so thankful that he didn't suffer, and is reunited with my mom and in the presence of his Savior.

      Delete
  7. Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is wonderful that you were able to celebrate your dad on his 90th birthday. He knew he was loved and was able to pass away peacefully. That means so much. I can certainly vouch for things happening and people appearing that all seem to have a connection and a purpose. It certainly has to be more than just chance. Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless your heart. Hope you and your family have a beautiful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw this post. What a blessed way for the Lord to call your Daddy home. As someone who is in the waiting to see her daddy in Heaven I know that you will have good days and hard days ahead. As God brings you to mind I will pray for you. It is soooo good to have that assurance that we will be together again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
Blessings,
Marcia